Monday, October 05, 2009

Vintage Button love

I've been wanting a pretty vintage brooch for a little while now, and have hunted without success through the local oppies. A spur of the moment idea turned into just what I was looking for. I have an enormous box of vintage buttons that were collected by my Great Grandfather during the first world war. The story my grandmother told was that these buttons were stripped off old clothes which were then used to manufacture paper. I love that there are buttons here potentially 100 years old - Wonderful history! 3 buttons of diminishing size, squished together with hot glue and a brooch fixing on the back equals this:



I love it! You can see it's holding my lovely Twilight shawl closed, notice how beautiful the colours are - this is a much better photo of it! Also notice that perhaps I was a bit heavy handed with the glue - next time I'll be more sparing!

4 comments:

dash robin said...

Oh you are clever! It is very beautiful Sam! I have to admit the buttons you gave me are 'too precious' to be used yet-some have been framed and I will take a photo to show you soon!One also made it to the back of head wrap that my mum crocheted for me(after I gave up on the too hard pettern, she took over:o). I still get warm fuzzies whenever I think of those buttons your grandpa gave you and sorting through them... Does anyone else get this happy thinking about old buttons??xxKate

Jeanne said...

Beautiful - great button, beautiful shawl!

Rachael said...

It's gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous! Clever too :)

Lynne said...

Very clever - well done. A great reminder of your grandparents every time you wear it - how special.