Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Crumpets nearly done

So this is a picture of the little dress I'm doing for the gorgeous Maribel. I started it the 12th or 13th of October, and apart from the blocking and end-weaving and trimming of the ribbon, I'm pretty much done now - so just under 2 weeks! This is actually version 2. Version 1 was begun the 6th of October with Cascade Sierra in 'meadow' colour, with copper beads. The colour combination was just gorgeous, but even though my gauge was correct, the size 1 I was knitting ended up fitting my size 6 daughter - not sure what went wrong there - the yarn was a 80/20 cotton/merino blend - so not the recommended yarn, and possibly part of the cause of the huge discrepancy in sizing. So version 2 is knit in Katia Missisipi, not sure of the colour name, but it is a lovely lavender/purpley colour. It is a 60/40 cotton/acrylic blend - much closer to the cottonease that is recommended which is a 50/50 cotton/acrylic. I actually knit this a size smaller and it is still largeish, but I'm hoping it will still fit ok. This yarn was a BARGAIN! I found 7 50gram balls in a throw-out bin at Lincraft - they were so badly tangled, I talked the assistant into selling them to me for 99c per ball! With about 150grams of oddments left, the yarn probably cost me all up $4 !! So I'm deeming this one a success, pending it actually fitting.

No comments: