Wednesday, November 29, 2006

sleeves

I'm still not sure. I wish the pattern was right. I'm just not experienced enough to wing it. I rang Ashford Australia today to ask them about the pattern, and apparently I wasn't the first to question it, but the woman there sounded unsure as well and gave me 2 different answers as I was trying to clarify it with her. I've been happy enough to just bide my time until some super-knitter came to my rescue with the answer, but as it seems that's just not going to happen, and I've finished the 3 soakers I had to make for a bit of Christmas cash and I'm now bored, I'm going to have to just suck it and see. I'm just glad that I'm not using the mohair suggested, because as the inimitable Stephanie Pearl-McPhee writes:

"Mohair is unique among fibres in that is possesses a
beautiful halo of fuzziness that effectively welds the knitting together. Few and far between are the knitters who can pull back knitting mistakes in mohair with their sanity and sobriety intact. Those who choose to knit with mohair would do well to triple check that they have cast on the correct number of stitches, because errors are best abandoned. Also note that this yarn quality increases the chances of not noticing a mistake for 8 inches. This chance is upgraded to a vitual certainty if you have only the exact amount of mohair required for the project, or if you paid a crazy amount of money for it"


Frogging alpaca is not much fun, but surely better than mohair :)

Oh and I'm sure I'll be quoting profusely in the weeks to come as i work my way through the hilarious "At Knits's end - Meditations for Women who Knit Too Much" by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee gifted to me by the lovely Lindy.

No comments: